Apply to be a GS Resident Advisor
Information Session: Wed., April 26, 12 - 1 p.m.
Application Deadline: Mon., May 8
GS students are invited to apply to serve as a resident advisor (RA) for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Resident Advisors (RAs) are members of the GS Housing and GS Student Life teams who are primarily responsible for community development, mediation, programming, policy communication, and crisis intervention, and work collaboratively with University offices including GS Housing, the GS Dean of Students Office, Columbia Residential, Health Services, and Public Safety. RAs report directly to GS Student Life, and work collaboratively with staff members on the GS Housing committee.
Wed., April 26, 12 - 1 p.m.
505 Lewisohn Hall or Online
Join GS Housing and the GS Resident Advisors for an information session to learn more about the RA role, application process, and timeline.
Note: students that are able to be an RA for two consecutive years will be given priority consideration during the search process; priority consideration for the RA position will be given to returning RAs.
- This RA position is an academic year appointment and applicants must be present from August 1, 2023 - May 31, 2024.
- The position is open to both undergraduate and Postbac Premed students in the School of General Studies
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled full time (12 or more points); Postbac Premed students must be enrolled full time (9 points and fulfilling the volunteering requirement of the Program)
- Must have completed at least one term of study at Columbia
- A minimum cumulative and semester grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required
- RAs must be in good academic and disciplinary standing
Note: all eligibility requirements are required to apply and must be maintained throughout the entirety of the position.
- Assess the needs of residents on a continual basis and report information back to GS Housing and GS Student Life
- Organize two events per month designed to create community among residents
- Hold weekly evening office hours for residents
- Compile research by actively engaging with GS residents to determine the needs of the community
Mediation and Support
- Mediate conflicts between roommates, apartment-mates, and neighbors when necessary and appropriate
- Provide peer support for residents
- Promote a healthy study environment and positive living space for residents
- Coordinate with GS Housing and Columbia Residential staff members to make appropriate referrals
- Uphold the established standards of confidentiality
- Provide referrals to campus resources for residents as needed (i.e., GS Dean of Students Office, Counseling and Psychological Services, Office of Disability Services, Public Safety, etc.)
Information, Communication, and Resource Referral
- Immediately address all incidents that threaten the health, safety, and security of the community and contact the appropriate person to inform of the situation
- Respond to emails that pertain to the RA position and GS Housing within 24 hours
Administrative Responsibilities and Duties
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisor, regular meetings with Columbia Residential, and other meetings as needed
- Document all issues and concerns with residents in a timely manner via Maxient – the University’s official reporting system
- Be familiar with and communicate all GS Housing policies in a positive manner
- Refer disciplinary matters to the appropriate supervisor in a timely manner
- Attend summer and winter training for the RA position
- Problem-solve with GS Housing and Columbia Residential staff
- Must place responsibilities of the RA position ahead of any part-time jobs and extracurricular activities
- Must maintain confidentiality, as RAs work with residents in crisis and in sensitive situations
- Resident Advisors live in an assigned location as determined by GS Housing and GS Student Life
- Must be present and available to work for the entirety of the academic year commitment (August 1, 2023 - May 31, 2024)
- Must be available to serve as Orientation Leaders during Fall 2023 & Spring 2024 Orientations. RAs will have vacation time for Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks
- RAs must attend all trainings and weekly meetings, be able to commit for the entirety of the position, and be available during scheduled evening duty hours
RAs receive full rent within one of the GS Housing residences in single occupancy housing (unfortunately couples and family housing cannot be accommodated for the RA position). RAs will be assigned to a unit by GS Housing. The unit type will be a shared suite setting with other GS residents—the RA will have their own bedroom but will have shared bathroom, kitchen, and common areas.
- Application Launch
- April 21, 2023
- Application Due Date
- May 8, 2023
- Individual Interviews
- Position Start Date
- August 1, 2023
- Resident Advisor Training
- August 2023
- Position End Date
- May 31, 2024
The application form, along with all accompanying documents and references, is due by May 8.
Applicants must submit a resume, and are encouraged to use the resources at the Center for Career Education (CCE) for assistance. Resumes must be submitted to [email protected] and [email protected].
Please submit the contact information for two professional references. There is a section of the application form for you to provide this information.
Note: GS Housing and GS Student Life will contact the applicant’s GS academic advisor to confirm academic and disciplinary standing.
RA applicants are required to attend an interview with GS Student Life and Housing staff members. Interviews will occur in May/June 2023.
Current RA Connection
Before applying for the RA role we do strongly encourage applicants to connect with a current GS RA either by:
- Attending GS RA Information Session on Wed., April 26, 12 p.m.
- Stopping by RA Office Hours
- Sending an email to GS RA