Employment Opportunity | Veteran Affairs Ambassador
Start Date: Spring 2023
The Center for Veteran Transition and Integration (CVTI) is seeking students to work as Veteran Affairs Ambassadors. Veteran Affairs Ambassadors are Columbia University students with prior military experience who work to connect and support other military-connected students and prospective students during their educational journeys at Columbia while supporting CVTI programming in support of the veteran community.
- Reporting to and coordinating all activities with the designated ambassador coordinator from CVTI.
- Assisting veteran and military connected students with general inquiries about veteran benefits and available CVTI resources and activities.
- Maintaining positive relationships with student support services in order to provide appropriate referral services.
- Tracking and reporting all activities and outreach efforts. Providing documentation of efforts to the ambassador coordinator on a monthly basis.
- Attending bi-weekly coordination meetings with the ambassador coordinator.
- Maintaining and contributing to database of frequently asked questions and common challenges facing military-connected students at Columbia, including but not limited to, VA educational benefits.
- Contributing to CVTI social media outreach efforts. Helping to curate interesting articles/posts/news applicable to veteran students.
- Helping plan and coordinate CVTI events.
- Providing weekly office hours (TBD)
Attending/presenting during New Student Orientations, community days, and other Columbia student veteran community events as directed by the Ambassador Coordinator.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must be receiving VA educational benefits and enrolled ¾ time or greater
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Requires attire and appearance appropriate for a professional office
- May require lifting 20-25 lbs., standing or sitting for substantial amount of time, and the ability to work both indoors and outdoors
Part-time (shifts are available Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.); may require evening and/or weekend hours.
To apply, or for questions, please email Beth Morgan, Director of Higher Education Transition and Partnerships at the Columbia University Center for Veteran Transition and Integration.